Friday, May 26, 2006

Announcing ZFS on FUSE/Linux

Hi everyone,

I'm very pleased to announce that, thanks to Google, Linux will (hopefully) have a working ZFS implementation by August 21st, 2006.

This site is where I'll keep you informed about my progress. A web site will soon be created for general information.

I'd just like to say that I'm very excited about this project. I think ZFS is a great filesystem, and I can't wait to have it working on Linux!

Of course, none of this would be possible without the work of Sun's engineers, who have done (and are still doing) a wonderful job, and of course, Google, who is sponsoring my project (and +600 other ones!).

Yay for Goooooooooooooogle!!!

12 comments:

Joseph Scott said...

You specifically mention Linux, any chance that this will work with FUSE for FreeBSD?

wizeman said...

Regarding FUSE for FreeBSD, I don't have any FreeBSD experience, but I'm sure it will be easy to port to it :)

Anonymous said...

I wish you luck and will be following your progress. Thanks for doing this!

Anonymous said...

Joseph,
Matt Dillon is working on ZFS for Dragonfly BSD:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2005-12/msg00040.html

Anonymous said...

Hi

Great work, will porting it to FUSE make it relatively easy to then create a full linux filesystem?

wizeman said...

Phase 2 of this project will be useful in porting ZFS to the linux kernel, since zdb is a useful debugging tool for ZFS filesystems/zpools.

However, phases 3 and especially 4 won't be of any use, since a kernel implementation would involve rewriting the whole code (the CDDL in which ZFS is licenced is incompatible with the GPL in which the linux kernel is licenced).

Anonymous said...

regarding phases 3 and 4 ... I don't think your reasoning is correct. It's not the license which is the issue, it's the underlying kernel interfaces. Licensing should only be an issue if you were trying to get ZFS integrated as part of a default linux kernel. If it's "merely" available as an add-on module then there shouldn't be any licensing issues.

Anonymous said...

> I'm very pleased to announce that,
> thanks to Google, Linux will
> (hopefully) have a working ZFS
> implementation by August 21st, 2006.

So, how's it going (as of September 8th, 2006).

wizeman said...

As of Sept. 8th there's still a decent amount of work to do. I'm now working on the FUSE part of the project.

I'm hoping to have most of it working in the next few weeks :)

Anonymous said...

Is there a page where you are posting progress updates, etc?

Anonymous said...


Progress Updates are Here

Hendra said...

any update? (as of Jan 25, 2007)